[ltp] Installing from Recovery CDs in VirtualBox

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 00:29:49 +0300

On Sat, 30 May 2009 19:18:33 +0200
Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> wrote:

> Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb:
> > On sam, 2009-05-30 at 13:06 -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >> Has anyone installed from the Recovery CDs?  Or if not, restored the recovery
> >> partition (and possibly the OS), then built an installation CD (perhaps with
> >> BartPE) that worked with VirtualBox?
> >
> > I don't think that would be possible, and I don't think the Windows
> > license for your Thinkpad would allow you that.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> i don't see why installing the XP you own inside a VM should not be
> allowed as long as you don't install it inside a vm that is running on a
> system using the same serial

Because the xp you own (assuming that it came with the machine) is an oem copy
that you are not allowed to transfer to another computer. I don't know if a
virtual machine counts as another computer and wether installing it twice, once
by itself and once inside a virtaul machine counts as two installs though.