[ltp] Installing from Recovery CDs in VirtualBox

Ismael Olea linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:46:00 +0200

--0016e6d646eda1dea7046c0f7599

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> > Also, I think VMWare have a tool for taking a physical machine and
> > virtualising it.
> >

> This can be touch and go, milage will vary, and at least supposadly windows
> will want a reactivation as the hardware has changed (I know that it is
> very
> problematic to use the same partition for a standard boot and a virtual
> boot at
> the same time)

In my experience, trying to use the windows partition for booting inside and
outside VMWare never worked:

   - OEM instalation boots native, but doesn't boot inside vmware
   - VMWare installation in hardisk partition, as a native installation,
   boots on VMWare but it doesn't in native

I've never investigated why this happens. If somebody set up this
configuration would be nice how to do it.

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/

--0016e6d646eda1dea7046c0f7599

Feigin <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michf@post.tau.ac.il">michf@=
post.tau.ac.il</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; Also, I think VMWare have a tool for taking a physical machine and<br>
&gt; virtualising it.<br>
&gt;<br>
indows<br>
will want a reactivation as the hardware has changed (I know that it is ver=
y<br>
problematic to use the same partition for a standard boot and a virtual boo=
t at<br>
e windows partition for booting inside and outside VMWare never worked:<br>=
<ul><li>OEM instalation boots native, but doesn&#39;t boot inside vmware</l=
i>
<li>VMWare installation in hardisk partition, as a native installation, boo=
tigated why this happens. If somebody set up this configuration would be ni=
ce how to do it.<br>
//olea.org/diario/</a><br>

--0016e6d646eda1dea7046c0f7599--