[ltp] Installing from Recovery CDs in VirtualBox

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:10:36 +0300

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:33:33 +0100
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 May 2009 19:18:33 +0200
> > Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> wrote:

> >> i don't see why installing the XP you own inside a VM should not be
> >> allowed as long as you don't install it inside a vm that is running on a
> >> system using the same serial
> >>

> > Because the xp you own (assuming that it came with the machine) is an oem copy
> > that you are not allowed to transfer to another computer. I don't know if a
> > virtual machine counts as another computer and wether installing it twice, once
> > by itself and once inside a virtaul machine counts as two installs though.
>
> I think you're allowed to install in a VM, as long as you remove the
> original install. If the VM is running on your actual OEM hardware, that

IANAL but you should read the EULA carefully and it's probably open to
interpretation.

> should be fine. Also, you'd be better to take an existing XP CD, and
> just use your own product key with it - the recovery CDs usually restore
> your system to how IBM ship it, whereas for a VM, you probably want a
> very generic install.

Although take note that there are several kinds of installs and you need to
make sure that you key works with the generic cd you took. I don't know the
exact specifics, but I did have issues. I don't think that an oem key will work
with a standard intall, a standard key with a corporate intall, etc.

> Also, I think VMWare have a tool for taking a physical machine and
> virtualising it.

This can be touch and go, milage will vary, and at least supposadly windows
will want a reactivation as the hardware has changed (I know that it is very
problematic to use the same partition for a standard boot and a virtual boot at
the same time)