[ltp] OT: x60 keyboard

Mon, 15 Jun 2009 05:17:00 +0100

> I've just acquired a 2nd hand "new old stock" X60. It all looks great,
> (hasn't been Linuxed yet - still waiting for the SSD to arrive), but the
> keyboard seems mechanically a bit loose.
>
> All the keys themselves feel just fine, but when I press the top area
> (about between the thinkvantage button and power button), there is a
> substantial amount of play, and it feels as though there is a broken
> support.

Solved it. The top row keys are now much more solid. For anyone else in
the same boat, the solution is very simple:

Remove the battery.

Make a small shim from a piece of thin card, folded to 4x thickness, and
cut it to be about 1cm x 4cm.

Tape it to the relevant point on the inside of the battery bay, where
they keyboard flexes the most. There is a small metal part that looks
like a cover for a D-connector viewed end-on.

Now put the battery back. The kbd is now fully supported :-)

Sometimes the simplest way works the best!

Richard