[ltp] Radeon Mobility stays on during suspend (T41)

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 06:01:12 -0500

* frank paulsen <frank.paulsen@gmx.net> [2009 Jun 17 19:04 -0500]:
> please check the output 'dmesg' for the following line:
>
> | radeonfb: IBM Thinkpad R50/R51/T40/T41 detected, enabling workaround
>
> if it is missing, try to add 'video=radeon:force_sleep' to your lilo or
> grub config.

I had the video option in Grub, but was not seeing the message you
quote from dmesg.  Turns out that I still had the previous 'vga=791' on
the kernel command line and it was enabling the VESA framebuffer.
Removing that allowed radeonfb to work.

Suspend to RAM works properly now as I suspended the laptop last night
and the display went completely blank and it stayed on suspend through
the night (7 1/2 hours) and still had about 75% of the battery life
remaining.

Thanks for giving me a tip of what to look for.

- Nate >>