[ltp] a few long questions with potentially short answers

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:15:55 +0100

André Wyrwa wrote:
> Hei,
> [...]
> 4. nvidia xserver - long restart time:
> When killing my X server or logging out, it takes the X server quite a
> while to restart. Also, there seems to be network traffic occuring
> during that time (my wireless led flickers). Any hints what that is all
> about?

Is "quite a while" maybe exactly 30s?
Seems to be a known bug, somehow related to an external monitor
being connected (or not).

> [...]
> 6. OT: automatic input replacement:
> I have a US model, but find myself typing german stuff a lot, recently,
> needing umlauts quite a bit. Does anyone know of a little daemon or any
> other good solution to automatically replace ue,ae,oe,ss by their german
> versions in an application independent fashion? Maybe with holding a
> qualifier? I'm using gnomes charmap applet for now, but it's still too
> annoying.

I think you want to set a "Compose-Key". Ask google or the list-archives
:)

hth,
--
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1@infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster