[ltp] Battery discharge during hibernation

Thomas Kahle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:27:21 +0100

--------------enigF30B6F5A3C6D9CBA2FCFC4C5

Anton Katsarov wrote:
> Hi, all,
>=20
> I have a ThinkPad T400 and I am using pm-hibernate with the script for
> stopping one of the CPU cores.
>=20
> Last night I hibernated my computer and the batter was 82% charged. I
> plugged out the AC. Today when I turned it on again it was 75% charged.=

> And that is not the first time I face this issue.
>=20
> Is it possible during hibernation the battery to be discharged? Does
> anyone have the same issue?

Hi,

I had the same problem and people started to call me a crazy paranoid...
But it was not related to Wake on LAN. On my X61s

echo =E2=80=9Cshutdown=E2=80=9D > /sys/power/disk

solved the problem. You have to repeat this step after every reboot (or
was it after every sleep even.) So you should place a hook in your
hibernate tools and boot process.

Somehow, if this is set to 'platform' I think the RAM will stay on to
make a hybrid sleep mode known from Apple's laptops. The computer does
suspend to RAM and Disk at the same time to come up very fast, but not
crash if running out of battery during sleep.

hope to help
Tom

>=20
> Best regards,
> Anton Katsarov=20

--=20
Thomas Kahle

The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
should software be any different?