[ltp] Re: OT: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:33:13 +0100

Moinmoin,

Am Montag 09 März 2009 12:52:33 schrieb Axel Braun:
> Just a quick impression from this years CEBIT exhibition in Hannover

I've been there as well =)

> - ASUS will stop shipping its eepc with Linux. Looks like Microsoft put a
> lot of pressure on them - more guys with MS-badge standing around the eepc
> than ASUS-employees. That means for me: Good-bye ASUS!

But they sure had the nicest ideas as far as I have seen on Cebit, otherwise
I've been disappointed, except for the open source area and the ebooks.

> - MSI...I only found one location in the reseller hall (which I couldnt
> enter). Saw too late that they were in a second location as well.

I've been on that second location and was heavily disappointed, the X320 and
X340 are looking very good and thin, but they are as flexy as cheap breadboxes
(stullenbüchsen), they flexed a lot and didn't look very robust, typing sure
didn't feel good.
I noticed that netbooks I have seen on the Cebit, the newer ones seem to be
made from very cheap plastic which flexes alot. I'd rather carry a few gramm
more when I can carry the device in my backpack without destroying the screen.

> - Dell ...didnt show any netbooks on their stand in hall 4

I've seen the mini 9 in the intel hall, was looking good, BUT they also had
some atom MID devices which were similar to the N810 from Nokia, running linux
as well, I can't find the announcment for them though =/

> So...looks like the mini 9 is still the favorite.

If you don't want to hurry maybe wait for the upcomming ARM netbooks,
newsreports mention them alot in the past month, and you sure won't pay any MS
tax on these ;) They propably have a much longer battery runtime, and linux
has most applications running on ARM as well, so if time and x86 are no
requirements waiting might be an option.

Karsten