[ltp] Using an external projector with t61 - mirror output

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:40:24 +0200

--MP_/u_REmzU=S4M9xuGfPrt5zw5

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:26:20 +0100
Martin Aumueller <aumuell@reserv.at> wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 20:29:33 Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi martin
> >
> > thanks a lot for sharing the solution. it addresses a problem, that has
> > been bugging me as well for a very long time (no 1024x768 provided) and
> > i had a hard time finding a solution.
> > now, your method definitely works, also for me, though i have a t61 (not
> > t61p) with a native resolution of 1680x1050. using the provided edid
> > file doesn't work here ( i get funky lsd-ish colors on one side of the
> > screen). therefore i would like to ask you about the way you created the
> > augmented edid file. i found the ubuntu package 'read-edid', which
> > provides 'get-edid' to obtain the binary data and 'parse-edid' to
> > convert it to human readable text. but when editing the text-file, how
> > can i create a binary file from that?
>
> I followed the steps as outlined here:
> http://myricci.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36
>
> I followed the steps described there to modify (i.e. add the 1024x768 mode)
> the edid data that I could dump with nvidia-settings (go to GPU-0, choose your
> internal LCD, acquire EDID). I used the C source code provided at the above
> url in order to do the necessary conversions and used the mentioned phoenix
> windows program for actually adding the mode.
>
> I hope that helps,
> Martin

I followed the instructions and it seems to have worked. I attached the
resulting file for anyone that may be interested.

This is with a t61, nvidia quadro nvs 140m, 15.4" screen and native resolution of 1680x1050
I enabled explicity 1024x768 and 800x600 but it seems to have enabled most 4:3
ratio modes. I just tested that I can go into 1024x768 for now. This is with the nvidia binary driver 180.37

> > hints are very much appreciated.
> >
> > roman
> >
> > On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 15:27 +0100, Martin Aumueller wrote:
> > > I got that to work on my 14" T61p (1400x1050) by:
> > > - adding the line
> > >        option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/t61p-edid-augmented.bin"
> > >   to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the "Device" section
> > > - and by putting the attached file into the specified location
> > >
> > > I found a tip on how to do that on some ubuntu web page, if I remember
> > > correctly. This custom EDID file adds the 1024x768 mode to the list of
> > > supported modes.

> > Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de

--MP_/u_REmzU=S4M9xuGfPrt5zw5

AP///////wAkTYcoAAAAAAAPAQOAIRV4CrylmFhViygkUFQBCAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBHC+Q
0GAaD0AgMBMAS88QAAAZRSeQ0GAaD0AgMBMAS88QAAAZAAAADwCzCjKzCigUAQAyDAAAAAAA/gBM
UDE1NFcwMi1UTDA2ALY=

--MP_/u_REmzU=S4M9xuGfPrt5zw5--