[ltp] IBM thinkpad users, please test 0.22-20090318-BETA

Jochen Schulz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:03:29 +0100

--W4x25ryriZDTVjgp

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>=20
>> Is there anything more you need than "works on model $foo" (if it does)?
>=20
> For the brightness stuff?  Well, if you can describe how well it worked (=
or
> didn't work), it could help.

Hm. I am just trying the patched kernel and all I can say is that changing =
the
display brightness using the hotkeys doesn't work anymore at all. :) I am
running a vanilla 2.6.29 + your patch on a Debian sid system (using some pa=
rts
of X.Org from experimental).

Using xbacklight or manually echoing values to
/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness works, though.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what exactly made the brightness keys work
with older versions of thinkpad-acpi (as it is in vanilla 2.6.29). As
far as I can tell, they  aren't controlled by acpid since the relevant
script detects the manufacturer string "LENOVO" (using dmidecode) and
then exits immediately.

> But on a X200, thinkpad-acpi doesn't (by default) control brightness,
> as it is supposed to be done by the standard ACPI video driver and
> X.org.

Ok, so I guess your part is working as designed and my problem with the
beta version is somewhere in userspace.

> You can force thinkpad-acpi to do it, though (refer to the
> documentation).

Passing brightness_enable=3D1 does indeed give me a working
/proc/acpi/ibm/brightness back (and removes the sysfs interface), but
the hotkeys still don't work anymore.=20

> For the rest of the stuff in the driver? It is always nice to get reports,
> yes.  Especially if things are not working well, as I am _entirely_
> dependent on user help to fix problems that don't show up on a T43.

Yay, finally someone who wants to hear my complaints! :) My volume keys
don't work very well either. The "mute" button only mutes (never
unmutes) and "volume up" and "volume down" only unmute but don't change
the volume (neither in an ALSA mixer nor in /proc/acpi/ibm/volume).

But again, I fail do understand which program should be responsible for
these keys to be working. All hits with your cluebat are welcome. :) And
if you need specific information for my model, feel free to ask.

J.
--=20
I want to keep my skin looking good but I believe all computers do the
same job.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--W4x25ryriZDTVjgp

--W4x25ryriZDTVjgp--