[ltp] Bluetooth button not working after installing Debian 2.6.29 kernel

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:25:10 -0300

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> config thing.  I noticed that Debian now has disabled
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT.  Could this be related?

Yes.  Without CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT you will get hotkey events *ONLY*
through the thinkpad-acpi input device.

It has been that way for more than one year, now.  It is warned everywhere
in the driver, there is even a backwards compatibility strategy in place,
which won't help you because acpid never got fixed to deal with netlink
events.

Me, I will move my hotkey acpid scripts to HAL one of these days.  It is
where they belong in the new order (until it becomes the NewNew order and
HAL beats the dust, that is...).

> Or were there major changes to the thinkpad stuff bwteen 2.6.29-rc6 and
> the final release?

None.  It is all because of that CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT change in your
kernel config.

In fact, CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT disabled makes Debian acpid USELESS, since
it has never been updated to deal with netlink events AFAIK.  My guess is
that it is a bug in the kernel config, and that it was not done on purpose.

> I also noticed that the Fn+F8 seems to have changed from toggling
> pointer devices to reporting a key press.  Not that it matters much to
> me, as I've never used it.  But some pointers on howto restore the
> old functionality would be useful.

Probably userspace stuff, look in HAL and friends.  The kernel drivers just
report key presses.

The exception is fn+f5.  Depending on the keycode you program there, the
rfkill_input module might decide to handle it.   But thinkpad-acpi doesn't
handle keys, it just filters them and reports them.

  Henrique Holschuh