[ltp] Lenovo System Toolbox and Ubuntu

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 May 2009 09:00:42 -0700

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:09:32 +0200
francesco tartaglia <francesco.tartaglia@gmail.com> dijo:

> I have thinkpad x61 with Ubuntu intrepid.
> After it fell to the ground it starts overheat.
> I'd use System Toolbox to understand where is the problem.
> I try to run it by WINE
> but it returns  error.
> Any Idea?
> I have to Install windows?

You might try to install Windows in Virtualbox and see if it can access
System Toolbox.

To install Virtualbox just use Synaptic. Once you have Virtualbox
installed you can launch it, and then create a virtual C drive on which
you can install Windows. You'll need a Windows install CD.

No guarantee that this will work. Virtualbox is pretty good at making
sure guest operating systems can use the components of the computer,
but I think System Toolbox needs to access the BIOS.

You might also check to see if there are any native Linux tools that
will help diagnose the problem.

In the case of overheating, the first thing to suspect is the fan. On
my Thinkpad the fan is so quiet that I can't hear it even when it is
running. If a wire became disconnected I might never know it until the
computer started overheating.

Another place to check is Lenovo technical support. I'm sure yours is
not the first Thinkpad that has been dropped. They might be able to
give you a list of things to check in order of probability.