[ltp] Re: [Re: Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...]

Yves Dorfsman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 May 2009 18:51:59 -0600

Chris Penn wrote:
> For basic desktop usage, Ubuntu Hardy or higher, hands down.  If not
> Ubuntu, then plain old debian.  Ubuntu doesn't really hang server side,
> but it is the place for desktop applications, IMO.

I have to agree with this statement (was on a R51 until the display died of
a very dramatic death, smoke and all, and now on a T60).

I have found the recent versions of Fedora quite polished, BUT, found
difficult to install non-free (as in the FSF free) software on it, for this
specific purpose, Ubuntu makes it very easy (This was on Fedora 9 and 10, I
heard a lot of work has been done on this, but have no idea where it's at).

Note that I am against proprietary format and would never use it for my own
content, but for example, cbc.ca, which I pay for with my taxes, encode all
their podcasts in mp3. I have found living with using only free formats very
restrictive.

--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/