[ltp] Re: [Re: Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...]

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 May 2009 18:12:35 -0700

Yves Dorfsman wrote:

> I have found the recent versions of Fedora quite polished, BUT, found
> difficult to install non-free (as in the FSF free) software on it, for
> this specific purpose, Ubuntu makes it very easy

>cbc.ca, which I pay for with my taxes,
> encode all their podcasts in mp3. I have found living with using only
> free formats very restrictive.

Surely, mp3 isn't sufficient reason to choose Ubuntu.  OpenSuse includes a
variety of open source and proprietary mp3 software.

I don't know what world you're in.  By not supporting LSB, Ubuntu makes
difficulties for a fair amount of commercial as well as free software.