[ltp] Hard lock on T42p

Sun, 31 May 2009 01:29:54 -0300

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Mat Marcus wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 May 2009, Mat Marcus wrote:
> >> I had a similar problem with recent Ubuntu distributions on a T42p.

> >>   echo disabled > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> >>
> >> was what finally allowed me to wake the machine without crashing.
> >
> > BIOS and EC version, please?  ThinkPad-acpi logs them when it is loaded .
>
> Thanks for asking:
>
> ThinkPad BIOS 1RETDRWW (3.23 ), EC 1RHT71WW-3.04

Urk.  It is the newest.

Ok, let's see if it is thinkpad-acpi that's causing this.  I have code
in there to store bluetooth state to NVRAM before suspend and shutdown,
and it is relatively new.

I am sure I am not doing anything weird on that code, but firmware bugs
would be nothing new, so it might be a bad idea on a T42 while it works
perfectly well on newer ThinkPads.

I will need help here, I know it is a major hassle to reset the CMOS,
but without help from someone with a T42 that suffers this problem, I
won't be able to do anything about it.

So, if you would be willing to risk messing your NVRAM again, please
test a 2.6.29 Mainline kernel, and see if it causes the problem.  Here's
a Ubuntu page on how to use a Mainline kernel with Ubuntu, the Ubuntu
way:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds

If you can reproduce the problem with the mainline 2.6.29 kernel, please
do this:

Find this function in the kernel source, on file
drivers/laptop/x86/thinkpad-acpi.c:

static void bluetooth_suspend(pm_message_t state)
{
	some stuff
}

and make it empty like this:

static void bluetooth_suspend(pm_message_t state)
{
}

Do the same for the function bluetooth_shutdown, in the same file.

Now, recompile the kernel (or just the thinkpad-acpi module), and use the
new one.

Can you still reproduce the problem after you do that?

  Henrique Holschuh