[ltp] 64-bit Suse 11.2 on T60, 2.33ghz w/4gb RAM

portsample linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:09:01 -0900

I'm a long time linux-on-Thinkpad user (1997 760ed w/SuSE 4.x).

My main machine is currently a T60 that I've upgraded the processor in
to 2.33ghz and added maximum ram to 4gb.

I've just downloaded the new 64-bit release of SuSE 11.2 and have
installed it on my T60. It seems to me to be significantly more buggy
than the 32-bit SuSE 11.1 release that I've been running. By buggy I
mean that my Evolution mail reader has crashed several times and when
you drag a window across the screen the refresh rate is terrible with
the window jump-jump-jumping across and leaving empty gray space for 2-3
seconds before the desktop fills in. In addition, the fonts are "weird"
and do not appear to be consistent. Often fonts and labels do not show,
(e.g.,blank buttons).

However that said, VMware Workstation v6.5 under 64-bit runs a WinXP
guest at lightening speeds...so fast you would swear it was native.

I am curious if anyone has tried a 64-bit Linux OS on their machine and
how much success they have had. Has anyone tried 64-bit SuSE 11.2?
TIA to all.