[ltp] 64-bit Suse 11.2 on T60, 2.33ghz w/4gb RAM

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:31:27 -0800

portsample wrote:
> I've done 2 fresh installs on this machine of 64-bit SuSE 11.2 .
>
> Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit?
>
> It does seem to be a lot more rough than the 32-bit SuSE releases that I
> am used to.
>
> Does anyone else have any experience with SuSE 64-bit on TPs? TIA again.

I ran OpenSuSE 64-bit happily for 2 years on my T61, before the
increasing strictness of Windows lock-down in our organization and the
partial obsolescence of T61 made dual boot less attractive.  I can't see
running SuSE64 on TP as a novel idea after the passage of this much
time, although you would want 2GB before expecting an advantage, and you
will still see some restrictions.  For example, only Opera64 worked well
with YouTube and with some of the public wireless access points (which
don't work with IE or FF either !), and I never got Skype microphone
working.