[ltp] Fwd: broken lcd panel ?

Xavier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:11:10 +0100

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Francois Maltey <fmaltey@nerim.fr> wrote:
> Xavier wrote :
>>
>> I have a r50e, the screen started screwing up a while ago and getting
>> worse and worse.
>> The symptom is a huge vertical transparent gray bar , sometimes there
>> are several of them.
>> It seems over the time, the bar went brighter and brighter and is
>> quite scary now.
>>

> It seems a hardware failure.
>
> Is it a problem when your laptop is cold or hot ? when you open or close
> slowly/quickly it ?
> When you press a corner or an other of your laptop ?
>
> So you'll see where is the failure.
>
> On a previous laptop (t42) it was the main mother board (and the video chip
> was in the bottom left area) .
>
> If this problem occures when you open the computer, it may be the cable...

Now I see I forgot very important information : the problem is always
here, as soon as the laptop is powered on, and during the whole usage.
The bars are just slightly different during bios or startup and after
Xorg or Windows is loaded, but they are always present.
Opening or closing the lid has no effect. I did not try pressing any
part of the screen, I will see what that does.

About the mainboard / video chip, I assume I can eliminate that
possibility by connecting an external screen. I am pretty sure it
would work, but don't remember if/when I tried that so I will check
again.

> How old is your laptop ?

The screen problems started occurring 1 or 2 years ago. The laptop
must be 3 or 4 years old.
I got it when it was new, and used it daily for one or two years, it
was still in very good shape when I gave it to my mother. She used it
much less than me (rather weekly than daily :) ), and the screen
problem started occurring after one year of low usage or something.
We all got new laptops in the meantime, but it's a pity to leave that
one in the dust considering that all the other components are
perfectly functional.

I still suspect the screen has to be replaced completely. But if I
could be sure, and could eliminate other problems like a damaged video
cable, it would be better :)

cheers,
Xavier