[ltp] Jaunty on Thinkpad R51

Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:28:09 -0300

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009, Richard Neill wrote:
> >I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty on my Thinkpad R51. Everything worked out of
> >the box, but the 2D graphics performance seems to be really slow.
> >Resizing, scrolling and other graphics operations are really slow.

Are you sure you're using accelerated 2d, with the RENDER X11 extension
active?  If you don't, that might be your problem.

> I think that all the ATI graphics cards are cursed. You might try
> the R51 page on ThinkWiki to see if there is a better solution (eg
> fglrx?), but here is what I do:

Actually, the older ones in the IBM ThinkPads do work fine, both with fglrx
(which is no better than the nVidia binary blob at doing braindamaged things
to the kernel and system, so I personally don't recommend it), and with the
open X.org drivers.

Which doesn't mean they'll be fast if you do the wrong 3d thing to them, or
if you use the wrong X.org accell backend.  On a T43, EXA works fine, and so
does light OpenGL.   The R51 is older, but I would be surprised if the ATI
Radeon on a R51 is slow for EXA- (and even XAA-) based 2d...

  Henrique Holschuh