[ltp] Crashes on boot with new HD

Wed, 07 Oct 2009 03:41:27 +0100

Harold Pimentel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I own a T61 and I recently installed a new hard drive.

I suspect this isn't the problem. Once in Linux, use smartctl to double
check that the drive is OK.

> Sometimes when I boot into Ubuntu it crashes before the actual OS loads. I have no idea if it's the new drive, or maybe a bad installation of ubuntu and I'm not even sure how to diagnose it.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate. Here is a photo of where it usually hangs:
>
> http://ecs.fullerton.edu/~pimentel/pics/laptoperr.jpg

Interesting that it is in the ACPI portion of the boot. I had trouble
with that too (though in my case, it was a faulty motherboard).

> Oh yeah, I don't have an issue with Windows 7 at all.

So *probably* not dodgy hardware.

Does this happen almost every time you boot Linux or just rarely?

Can you see any pattern to it?

When it crashes, do you have to power-cycle the machine, or does it
respond to, say, Alt-Sysrq-{R,S,E,I,U,B}?

Which Ubuntu version are you using? Could you try out another one? (the
easiest way is to boot the live environment from a USB key; unetbootin
makes this very easy.)

Richard