[ltp] New hard drive for T61

Dominik Stadler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:27:26 +0200

--0016e6d976202166f60476b42849

Just to make you aware, I actually had a not so smooth experience with
exactly the same Seagate Momentus 500GB "g" drive 7200RPM. My drive made
very annoying clicking sounds each 3 to 5 seconds, which was  really
bothering me as the overall machine (T500) is very quiet.

I looked around on the net and found other people reporting the same thing a
few times on various forums with one or two proposed "solutions", but
nothing of that worked for me.

Seagate offered a full replacement, so they handled my complaint correctly,
but because I was wary of probable shipment costs from Europe to somewhere
which could nearly cost the same as a new drive I ended up buying another
drive from some other vendor and I am now using the Seagate as backup drive
in an USB enclosure where I don't much care about noise, so nothing lost,
but some time to copy things around.

Just so that you know if you catch one of those that have that
clicking-noise-problem.

Dominik.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I didn't bother to measure it, because i am not at all interested
> in any numbers. Don't even really care about whether disk has
> 3.0Gbit/sec or 1.5Gbits/sec throughput. Just being able to simply
> feel the enhanced responsiveness was already enough for me to be
> content with the doubled disk upgrade.
>
> The slower 5400GB Momentus is now in some cheap "Ultrabay Slim
> SATA HDD Adapter II" imitation. I had to put a jumper on the disk
> to limit its speed to a 1.5 Gb/s data rate, because there was an
> issue for it being recognized by the T61 BIOS 3 (or even 4) out
> of 5 times during startup.
>
> The jumpering solution for this issue is fully described here:
>
> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=193775
> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=168595
>
> Might be worth to have this info added to ThinkWiki by some kind soul.
>
> In any case, it is nice to have so much superfluous disk space
> available for some KVM virtual machines or simply for scratch,
> using the second disk primarily as an almost identical backup
> device by mirroring.
>
> No, i don't endorse Seagate disks for any economic interest, but
> i do happen to like their Momentus series quite a lot.
>
> Cheers
> P. *8^)
>
> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > When Karmic goes final next week I plan to do a reinstall. But instead
> > of wiping the 160 GB hard drive that came with my T61 I want to buy a
> > new drive, then put the old drive in a USB enclosure. After the new
> > install I'll copy over ~/ and perhaps other things as needed to get
> > things back to the way they currently are (installed programs, etc.).
> >
> > Normally I do a dist-upgrade, but for some time I have been having
> > issues with Xorg or Gnome or something on Jaunty. I have spent entire
> > days trying to fix it, but there are literally hundreds of libraries,
> > modules, configurations and so on. I give up.
> >
> > I'd like a somewhat larger hard disk than the Hitachi 5416 that came
> > with the Thinkpad, maybe around 300 GB. From past discussions that I
> > have read here there are a couple issues:
> >
> > 1) My dim understanding is that Lenovo did something in the BIOS so
> > that only hard drives bought from them will work. However, I think that
> > is not entirely correct.
> >
> > 2) I understand that my T61 has a SATA-2 controller, but Lenovo
> > throttled it to no more than 100 Mb/s. Hence, there is no point in
> > getting a faster hard disk. Yet there may be other issues that would
> > make disk access faster. If possible, I would like as fast a disk as
> > possible, given the controller situation.
> >
> > So my question is: Are there any T61 users here who have installed
> > larger hard disks? If so, what did you install, and are you happy with
> > its performance?
> --

--0016e6d976202166f60476b42849

Just to make you aware, I actually had a not so smooth experience with exac=
tly the same Seagate Momentus 500GB &quot;g&quot; drive 7200RPM. My drive m=
ade very annoying clicking sounds each 3 to 5 seconds, which was=A0 really =
bothering me as the overall machine (T500) is very quiet. <br>
ing a few times on various forums with one or two proposed &quot;solutions&=
quot;, but nothing of that worked for me. <br><br>Seagate offered a full re=
placement, so they handled my complaint correctly, but because I was wary o=
f probable shipment costs from Europe to somewhere which could nearly cost =
the same as a new drive I ended up buying another drive from some other ven=
dor and I am now using the Seagate as backup drive in an USB enclosure wher=
e I don&#39;t much care about noise, so nothing lost, but some time to copy=
 things around. <br>
ct 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Paul Seelig <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Hi John,<br>
i bought a bigger replacement drive and, in a second step, a<br>
second faster one just a few months ago. Both times it was a<br>
Seagate Momentus 500GB disk in its G version, in order to have<br>
the drive itself take care of any gravitational issues. First<br>
drive was the 5400rpm speed version, and the second one the<br>
faster 7200rpm speed version. There actually is a speed<br>
difference, as the system does feel more responsive thanks to the<br>
faster disk (running Debian/unstable). As an added benefit, the<br>
7200rpm disk comes with a 5 year warranty.<br>
I didn&#39;t bother to measure it, because i am not at all interested<br>
in any numbers. Don&#39;t even really care about whether disk has<br>
3.0Gbit/sec or 1.5Gbits/sec throughput. Just being able to simply<br>
feel the enhanced responsiveness was already enough for me to be<br>
content with the doubled disk upgrade.<br>
The slower 5400GB Momentus is now in some cheap &quot;Ultrabay Slim<br>
SATA HDD Adapter II&quot; imitation. I had to put a jumper on the disk<br>
to limit its speed to a 1.5 Gb/s data rate, because there was an<br>
issue for it being recognized by the T61 BIOS 3 (or even 4) out<br>
of 5 times during startup.<br>
The jumpering solution for this issue is fully described here:<br>
Id=3D193775" target=3D"_blank">http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfse=
rvice/search.jsp?DocId=3D193775</a><br>
Id=3D168595" target=3D"_blank">http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfse=
rvice/search.jsp?DocId=3D168595</a><br>
Might be worth to have this info added to ThinkWiki by some kind soul.<br>
In any case, it is nice to have so much superfluous disk space<br>
available for some KVM virtual machines or simply for scratch,<br>
using the second disk primarily as an almost identical backup<br>
device by mirroring.<br>
No, i don&#39;t endorse Seagate disks for any economic interest, but<br>
i do happen to like their Momentus series quite a lot.<br>
Cheers<br>
P. *8^)<br>
John Jason Jordan wrote:<br>
&gt; When Karmic goes final next week I plan to do a reinstall. But instead=
&gt; of wiping the 160 GB hard drive that came with my T61 I want to buy a<=
br>
&gt; new drive, then put the old drive in a USB enclosure. After the new<br=

&gt; install I&#39;ll copy over ~/ and perhaps other things as needed to ge=
t<br>
&gt; things back to the way they currently are (installed programs, etc.).<=
br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Normally I do a dist-upgrade, but for some time I have been having<br>
&gt; issues with Xorg or Gnome or something on Jaunty. I have spent entire<=
br>
&gt; days trying to fix it, but there are literally hundreds of libraries,<=
br>
&gt; modules, configurations and so on. I give up.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;d like a somewhat larger hard disk than the Hitachi 5416 that ca=
me<br>
&gt; with the Thinkpad, maybe around 300 GB. From past discussions that I<b=
r>
&gt; have read here there are a couple issues:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 1) My dim understanding is that Lenovo did something in the BIOS so<br=

&gt; that only hard drives bought from them will work. However, I think tha=
t<br>
&gt; is not entirely correct.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 2) I understand that my T61 has a SATA-2 controller, but Lenovo<br>
&gt; throttled it to no more than 100 Mb/s. Hence, there is no point in<br>
&gt; getting a faster hard disk. Yet there may be other issues that would<b=
r>
&gt; make disk access faster. If possible, I would like as fast a disk as<b=
r>
&gt; possible, given the controller situation.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So my question is: Are there any T61 users here who have installed<br>
&gt; larger hard disks? If so, what did you install, and are you happy with=
&gt; its performance?<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>