[ltp] New hard drive for T61

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:11:54 +0200

Hi John,

i bought a bigger replacement drive and, in a second step, a
second faster one just a few months ago. Both times it was a
Seagate Momentus 500GB disk in its G version, in order to have
the drive itself take care of any gravitational issues. First
drive was the 5400rpm speed version, and the second one the
faster 7200rpm speed version. There actually is a speed
difference, as the system does feel more responsive thanks to the
faster disk (running Debian/unstable). As an added benefit, the
7200rpm disk comes with a 5 year warranty.

I didn't bother to measure it, because i am not at all interested
in any numbers. Don't even really care about whether disk has
3.0Gbit/sec or 1.5Gbits/sec throughput. Just being able to simply
feel the enhanced responsiveness was already enough for me to be
content with the doubled disk upgrade.

The slower 5400GB Momentus is now in some cheap "Ultrabay Slim
SATA HDD Adapter II" imitation. I had to put a jumper on the disk
to limit its speed to a 1.5 Gb/s data rate, because there was an
issue for it being recognized by the T61 BIOS 3 (or even 4) out
of 5 times during startup.

The jumpering solution for this issue is fully described here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=193775
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=168595

Might be worth to have this info added to ThinkWiki by some kind soul.

In any case, it is nice to have so much superfluous disk space
available for some KVM virtual machines or simply for scratch,
using the second disk primarily as an almost identical backup
device by mirroring.

No, i don't endorse Seagate disks for any economic interest, but
i do happen to like their Momentus series quite a lot.

Cheers
P. *8^)