[ltp] New hard drive for T61

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 20:53:43 +0200

Hi John,

i bought a bigger replacement drive, and a second faster one in a second
step, just a few months ago. Both times it was a Seagate Momentus 500GB
disk in its G version, in order to have the drive itself take care of
any gravitational issues. First drive was the 5400rpm speed version, and
the second one the faster 7200rpm speed version. There actually is a
speed difference, as the system does feel more responsive thanks to the
7200rpm disk (running Debian/unstable). As an added benefit, the 7200rpm
disk comes with a 5 year warranty.

I didn't bother to measure it, because i am not at all interested in any
numbers. Don't even really care about whether disk has 3.0Gbit/sec or
1.5Gbits/sec throughput. Just being able to simply feel the enhanced
responsiveness was already enough for me to be content with the doubled
disk upgrade.

The slower 5400GB Momentus is now in some cheap "Ultrabay Slim SATA HDD
Adapter II" imitation. I had to put a jumper on the disk to limit its
speed to a 1.5 Gb/s data rate, because there was an issue for it being
recognized by the T61 BIOS 3 (or even 4) out of 5 times during startup.

The jumpering solution for this issue is fully described here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=193775
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=168595

Might be worth to have this info added to ThinkWiki by some kind soul.

In any case, it is nice to have so much superfluous disk space available
for some KVM virtual machines or simply for scratch, using the second
disk primarily as an almost identical backup device by mirroring.

No, i don't endorse Seagate disks for any economic interest, but i do
happen to like their Momentus series quite a lot.

Cheers
P. *8^)

--
https://www.xing.com/profile/Paul_Seelig