[ltp] t42 archlinux fan noise

Arian Kuschki linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:36:27 +0100

Hi all

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years on an x31 and a t42
without any problems. But now I switched to Arch Linux and for some
reason then fan on my t42 is always running around 3500 rpm even when the laptop is
idle for hours (cpu load < 5%). Only very seldomly does it go down to
3000rpm.

I know there are programs like fancontrol to control fan speed, but I
was wondering how Ubuntu manages to regulate the fan speed natively. After
all support for fan regulation on ThinkPads is built into the Kernel
right? This would the preferred route for me because of efficiency and
lower risk.

Does anybody know how Ubuntu handles the Thinkpad fan out of the box? If
there is no other way but to run a script to control fan speed, which
one do you recommend? Under Arch Linux I think fancontrol is the
preferred option. And also, if I have to adjust fan speed manually,
where can I find information about critical temperature thersholds for a
t42.

Thanks in advance.
Arian