[ltp] t42 archlinux fan noise

Damien Challet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:44:07 +0100

> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years on an x31 and a t42
> without any problems. But now I switched to Arch Linux and for some
> reason

it is probably reason which cause the idle temperatures to rise.

> then fan on my t42 is always running around 3500 rpm even when the laptop is
> idle for hours (cpu load < 5%). Only very seldomly does it go down to
> 3000rpm.

what gives acpi -T, or even better

cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal ?

use also powertop to check the likely cause of this.

You should also use hpet=force in /boot/grub/menu.lst which helps keeping the
CPU idle.

Finally, you can try to  undervolt your CPU if you do not mind a hard crash
every 3 months.