[ltp] Linux reports OK for batteries vital signs, but it doesn't work at all

Mark Stosberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:56:36 -0400

Hello,

I recently received a used X41. The battery worked fine for the first day (at a
reduced capacity expected for it's age).  Since then, it has not worked at all.
If unplug power from the wall, the computer is turns off instantly.

Oddly, Linux seems to reporting that everything is fine with the battery, as
shown below. I can accept if this is just a symptom that the battery needs to
be replace, but I wanted to check if there's something else I shouldn't be
considering. This is with Ubuntu Karmic Koala installed (along with the
KingSpec 32 GB SSD!)

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/

###

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
 present:                 yes
 capacity state:          ok
 charging state:          charged
 present rate:            0 mW
 remaining capacity:      25390 mWh
 present voltage:         16418 mV

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
 present:                 yes
 design capacity:         64800 mWh
 last full capacity:      25520 mWh
 battery technology:      rechargeable
 design voltage:          14400 mV
 design capacity warning: 3240 mWh
 design capacity low:     648 mWh
 capacity granularity 1:  1 mWh
 capacity granularity 2:  1 mWh
 model number:            IBM-92P1085
 serial number:              73
 battery type:            LION
 OEM info:                SANYO

$ cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/group?_voltage
4108
4098
4106
4106