[ltp] Thinkpad T61 overheating issues

Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:10:24 +0300

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:02:46AM -0400, anonymous sheep wrote:
> Hi.  Going straight into the problem, I've had heating issues when using
> linux distros.  I've switched back to windows for now but I still want to=
 go
> back to linux when I have a solution to the problem.  The laptop would
> overheat on the following distros: ubuntu 9.04, opensuse 11, and fedora 1=
1.
> I suspect other distros like debian and puppylinux have the same problem
> from google searches.  I have more insight with ubuntu 9.04 since I
> attempted to troubleshoot. The main problem is high cpu usage on idle,
> around 15-20%,

That is definitely not normal.  What processes are eating the CPU?

> Anyone using a thinkpad T61 nvidia
> NVS 140M with suggestions?

No, my T61 has Intel video.  No heating issues; CPU is at 0% when idle.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Where are you most likely to need carpet tacks and a hammer, for example?
Precisely. So leaving them on the stairs is simple ergonomics.
        -- http://www.mil-millington.com/

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--