[ltp] Configure dialup T61

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:38:25 -0500

Tim Tebbit wrote:
> I'm at a complete loss on where to start here. I need to send some faxes
> out and figured this would be a quick and easy process. I found a write
> up to use hylafax-server [1] Being that I've never needed to use dialup
> I don't even know where to start in linux. Debian Sid T61-7685-18U.
>
> And guidance would be appreciated.
>
> [1] http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm

If you just want to send some faxes from your computer then don't bother
with Hylafax, as it is a bear to configure properly and does much more
than you need. Hylafax is more for having a fax server on a network to
handle incoming faxes for possibly multiple fax modems and sending out
faxes for possibly multiple computers on the LAN. It works well once
configured and allows a lot of customization, but it is not always easy
to get set up.

I suggest looking at efax for a fax solution on a single computer. If
you want or need a GUI then also get efax-gtk. Both efax and efax-gtk
are in Debian, so just use apt-get/aptitude/synaptic or whatever to
install, and then read the docs and you should be OK.

wes