[ltp] Re: How to handle Fn-F5 and other special keys with latest kernels ?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:03:28 -0400

>> But can you elaborate a little bit more about how this works?  You
>> already wrote HAL generates events that the kernel interprets. But what
>> do these lines tell the kernel exactly? Is it just the ":bluetooth"
>> part? I am simply missing the "action" part, as it had to be defined
>> previously with acpid.

> From what I know, I think the event is received by hal, which translate
> it to the mapped key (bluetooth or wifi), and this key is then
> “received” by the rfkill-input module which then toggles bluetooth
> and/or wifi.

Interesting.  Now here comes the next question: what if "rfkill" is not
the action I want to take?
In the past I've seen several cases where I wanted to do more than just
rfkill:
- my wifi driver doesn't implement the rfkill functionality.
- killing the RF doesn't kill the relevant daemon such as
  wpa-supplicant.
- unkilling the RF doesn't restart the relevant daemon.

        Stefan