[ltp] How much performance improvement going from 32-bit to 64-bit linux?

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:44:30 +0200

Hi!

portsample wrote:
> Hey all,
>=20
> I've recently upgraded to a T60 running a Core 2 Duo T7600 Mobile
> Processor (2.33 ghz), lots of RAM and a 7200rpm HD. I am currently
> running openSuse 11.1, 32-bit.
>=20
> I am thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.2 when it is released=

> in November.
>=20
> Does anyone have any experience with moving from 32-bit linux OS to
> 64-bit?=20

I don't have personal 64 bit hardware, only on the servers at work.

>=20
> What kind of performance increase will I see?=20

I'm not sure there will be any.

Running a 64 bit kernel may mean that management of memory beyond 4 GB
becomes a bit easier, but I dare not predict performance implications.
If there is a gain, I expect it to be small.

Running 64 bit applications means all pointers are twice the size, so
storage demands increase. I expect performance to suffer.
The gain would only come if your applications really use so much memory
that the 4 GB address space limit matters: large caches come to mind,
like in databases, maybe video editing, other memory-intensive stuff.

With typical home or office use, I don't expect the 4 GB limit to matter
for an individual application  -  large servers would be a different thin=
g.

>=20
> What kind of problems will I have?

See other mails about plugins limited to 32 bit etc.

*If* you do the switch, a report might be interesting.

And my mantra for such things is:
Install dual (or multi-) boot for an easy way back.

J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de