[ltp] Linux on T61 vs Linux on T400...

Bibek Paudel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:21:06 +0545

Thanks for the reply. I will reply if I still have problems.

2009/9/20 Karsten K=F6nig <remur@gmx.net>:

> Powertop works good, also gives a rough power draw estimation etc pp., yo=
> should get the system with everything turned down/off (screen still on) t=
o 12W
> easily. Also using tp_smapi will give alot of information about the batte=
ry,
> similar to the windows lenovo power manager, not that pretty though, but =
also
> not drawing that much power...

Btw, I wanted to ask how one could turn off just the screen. And if
you use T400 with a 9-cell battery and Ubuntu 9.04 (or some other
Debian derivative), what's the battery performance in your machines?
Would be nice if you'd be able to share.

> The intel driver ubuntu 9.04 is using isn't the best as far as I heard
> (transition phase between two different driver "architectures" (switch to=
 GEM
> and KMS, dropping of old rendering paths etc), if turning off compiz make=
s it
> behave just switch it off, you can propably live without it until intel f=
ixed
> it.

Yes, I've switched it off for now. I'm not very fond of Compiz but
sometimes one needs it and it doesn't feel good when 'one of the best
machines around' doesn't work well when it's turned on ;) Btw, is no
other (better) driver (other than Intel) available for the ATI GPU I'm
using? And would I be able to use the integrated Intel graphics card.
I hope that would increase the performance of my battery too.

>> 3. How do I use the HDAPS module for hard-disk protection?
>
> Check the thinkwiki about this, the documentation is good and extensive.

Thanks. I heard that HDAPS module is still under development. Does
that mean that it wouldn't be able to provide a reliable hard-drive
protection (from movement-damage)? Please let me know or provide some
pointers.

Thanks a lot again,
Bibek

--=20
Disclaimer:
By sending an email to any of my addresses you are agreeing that:
  1. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and
make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
lends itself to.
  2. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  3. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality
that may be included on your message.