[ltp] Howto select and purchase upgrade for UMTS option on X61?

David Bremner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:56:06 -0300

Jan Girlich wrote:

>What I found out so far:
>- I got to buy and install a WWAN card, antenna and antenna cables. I
>found instructions on how to install those in the Maintenance Manual.
>- I need to remove the simlock if I want to use it with another provider
>than vodafone. I saw the instructions on how to do that on thinkwiki.org

I bought an unlocked Sierra Wireless Aircard 875 pcmcia card (for
CAD100 on ebay) that worked fine in Germany on my X61s (using some pay
as you go provider fronted by Aldi). So that's another option.  The
built in antenna is probably not as good as the one in the thinkpad,
but when I was somewhere with really weak 3G (Magdeburg), I plugged an
external antenna ($15, also from ebay) in, and that helped.