[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #2599 - 1 msg

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:19:51 +0100

--=-WwmEWzJEplPn/A+sDw2F

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:14 +0200, Ralph Spitzner wrote:

>=20
> I'm not going to stick this into a base64 decoder, however
> a friend of mine recently visited me carrying a
> 'lenovo thinkpad'
>=20
> even the hinges are made of plastic nowadays.
>=20
> It hs a Fingrprint reader, though.
> (which of course only works with Vista :-P )
>=20
> I just don't get it why on earth IBM abandoned manufacturing thinkpads
> in the first place, they should at least foresee the manufacturing
> proccess in terms of quality....

The only ThinkPads for which that might be the case are some of the SL
series or maybe the X100e/Edge -- I can't recall whether or not they do.
The T series and X20x/X30x certainly have metal hinges, as do the R and
W series.

I can, however, comment on the general theme (i.e. that Lenovo ThinkPads
are inferior): it's rubbish.  I've got an X60s, X61s, and a T500.  Up
until very recently I also owned a X200 and an X40.  The X40 was
designed and built by IBM (produced before the sale, thus a
"thoroughbred" IBM machine).  The X60s was produced right after the
changeover (designed almost entirely by IBM engineers, built by Lenovo
shortly after they took ownership of the division), the X200s and T500
were entirely designed and built by Lenovo.  The T500 and X200s "feel"
cheaper than the X40.  They're also considerably stronger, and better
engineered machines.  The X40 had a delicate screen and developed wobbly
hinges despite gentle use.  The X200s had a very flexible-looking
screen, but was able to survive being stepped on without even so much as
a pressure mark.

Looks aren't everything.  You may think that Lenovo's machines look or
feel cheaper, but at least some of the models are every bit as
well-engineered (if not better) than IBM's ThinkPads were.

-Rob

--=-WwmEWzJEplPn/A+sDw2F

--=-WwmEWzJEplPn/A+sDw2F--