[ltp] IBM Thinkpad T41 type 2373-7fu; recommendations for auction purchase and *nix type

Ole Irgens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 20:11:35 +0200

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T41 is your friend.

> The machines have the Centrino 1.6gHz, 512MB memory, WIFI, the harddrive
> has been removed for security purposes.

1 gig of memory is a minimum IMHO, else the machine will be painfully
slow due to utilization of swap memory. My X61s runs on 6-700 mb of
memory with the usual applications, I have put 4 gigs into it for good
measure since I also do a bit of virtualization.

> I'm allowed to test them before I bid, is there anything specific I
> should be looking for?

What will you use the machines for? They can not be used in a production
environment, since machines that are 5+ years old are likely to fail at
any given moment, even sturdy boxes as the TPs. If you will use them at
home, they might do the job, but you will still have to upgrade the
memory and buy new HD drives for every machine. Even at a price of USD
150/machine, you are loooking into another USD 150-200/machine for
sufficient memory and HD.

I see that they are dumping large amounts of these machines at eBay now,
so you should be able to get a decent price, but honestly - with prices
for new PCs being quite low, why bother hassling around with old junk?

--

rgds

OI