[ltp] Problems with (non-Lenovo) battery

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:38:40 -0800

lenovo has a bootable cd image to do the reset procedure. It is listed
on the t30 driver file lists. I don't think it will help. I only had
the blink problem with apc and after market batteries. It is a normal
thing. Only it is my battery light that does it on the t30 not the
wifi lamp.. I don't have a wifi lamp.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Dan M. <likuidkewl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have purchased a few batteries from:
> level8technology.com
>
> They have held up very well and are as close in runtime to the
> originals that I have found.
>
> Hth
>
> On 15/12/2010, Dave Cunningham <sparkprime@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I bought a non-lenovo battery for my W700DS and found that it could not
>> supply enough power -- The machine can be used on battery as long as you
>> don't try and do any intense graphical work that uses the GPU. =C2=A0If =
you do
>> that, it will power off immediately.
>>
>> Intensive CPU + hard disk + wifi is OK, however. =C2=A0It is just the GP=
U as far
>> as I can tell.
>>
>> Also the cheap battery lost the top 15% of its capacity within the first
>> month.
>>
>> i still use the cheap battery on transatlantic flights but I have to
>> structure my work so I can do a few contiguous hours of non-graphical wo=
rk.
>> It is quite irritating. =C2=A0I have 2 lenovo batteries that are fine, h=
owever .

>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Arno Trautmann
>> <Arno.Trautmann@gmx.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I'm using an X61s with Arch Linux.
>>>
>>> Two questions, short one first:
>>> The wifi-light of my machine keeps blinking. The connection is ok and
>>> stable, but it blinks with about 2Hz frequency. This is quite annoying
>>> when I try to concentrate. Any idea to prevent it from blinking?
>>>
>>> Long question:
>>> Some time ago my original battery (8-cell) lost its capacitance and I
>>> needed a new one. As they are quite expensive, I bought one
>>> non-original. (also 8-cell) That one works fine, except for longer time=
>>> on battery:
>>>
>>> /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
>>> present: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 yes
>>> capacity state: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0ok
>>> charging state: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0charged
>>> present rate: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A00 mW
>>> remaining capacity: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A062290 mWh
>>> present voltage: =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 15765 mV
>>>
>>> This file may show a remaining capacity of, say , 40000mWh, but suddenl=
>>> the machine just turns off. When connected to power supply again, I get
>>> capacitance close to the value before, so the power is not just "lost"
>>> anyhow.
>>> However, I guess it might be that the voltage drops below some critical
>>> value (is below 15V then) that might be slightly higher on original
>>> batteries. Is that possible? If so, is there a way to prevent the
>>> machine from shutting down by decreasing this value slightly?
>>>
>>> I=E2=80=99m happy for any suggestions,
>>> cheers