[ltp] Losing my fan T61 7658-18U

Tim Tebbit linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:40:21 -0500

I suppose the bearing is going. It sounds unbalanced with a ticking or a
brushing against something noise. I've since shut it off unless needed
with echo 'level 0' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan. Having been caught on the
phone/reading or whatever, looking up to find the cores encroaching on
190F I figured it's time to replace the unit. I've looked over google a
bit with the usual suspects returning but I figured it would be better
to seek advice from someone who has replaced one already. I am not
interested in a refurbished unit, and those all seemed to top results
listed. I'm interested in part numbers, suppliers, and steps to take
while I have it opened up. I've never had to apply thermal paste etc. So
any advice would be highly appreciated.