[ltp] Losing my fan T61 7658-18U

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:49:29 +1100

At 02:40 PM 5/02/2010, Tim Tebbit wrote:
>I suppose the bearing is going. It sounds unbalanced with a ticking or a
>brushing against something noise. I've since shut it off unless needed
>with echo 'level 0' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan. Having been caught on the
>phone/reading or whatever, looking up to find the cores encroaching on
>190F I figured it's time to replace the unit. I've looked over google a
>bit with the usual suspects returning but I figured it would be better
>to seek advice from someone who has replaced one already. I am not
>interested in a refurbished unit, and those all seemed to top results
>listed. I'm interested in part numbers, suppliers, and steps to take
>while I have it opened up. I've never had to apply thermal paste etc. So
>any advice would be highly appreciated.

Get the hardware manual from the IBM/Lenovo support site.  It's a PDF so you'll need a reader installed, obviously. ;-) You'll need the exact model code off the back of the case. (The interface offers a massive list of these to select from).  It will take you to the exact manual set you need.

All the FRU details are there in the hardware manual, plus a lot of other useful info.  Best of all, the last section has the most amazingly fine detail, with diagrams all the way, about how to replace each FRU, including back-links to each thing to remove to get to the next thing...right down to blown-up drawings of things like brackets, screw-holes, etc.

Have fun!

Helen