[ltp] R31 hard drive replacement

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:10:18 -0800

Well some of the systems have heat issues with 5400 rpm (my old t30
did) Got really hot. It will run but the heat is would put off was
annoying.  I just put another 4200rpm in and it was back to cool. This
may also be a s.m.a.r.t. issue too but I am unsure of it. I know you
can adjust these things as well as auto parking for power saving and
what not.

Other things that come to mind are size. Some of the drives will not
fit in some of the models. To big.

Other issues related to vibration. Some drives can't take taps or
drops. Hitachi was notorious for this..  Killed a few of them myself
just by putting the thing on a desk... a light tap and then I got this
high pitched noise that sounded like feedback on a radio.

Ah the memories.

I don't know about any of the ssd's out there. I want to get one of
the intel versions. They have some speed to them. Just can't justify
the 500$ price tag at the moment.

I think the r31 is a ide drive most likely a toshiba or hitachi
travelstar. 4200 rpm is the norm for those.  You can pick them up new
or refurbished from geeks for about 30$ for a 50 gig. Good luck.

jay

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM, James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote=
: