[ltp] Re: Which distro for ThinkPad T400s

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:25:36 +0100

As You might notice, choosing your Linux distribution is a matter of
taste, and how you're going to be using it. A "hard core" fanatic
would say Slackware, because you have full control, because you
compile every package from source, etc. Someone coming from Windoze
might choose something like Linspire on those Asus mininotes. As
someone before mentioned, for engineering applications, 64-bit is
probably better if the software you're going to use can make use of
it. Ubuntu usually comes better polished out-of-the-box than Debian,
with more stuff working directly. If you're used to doing some
configuration by hand (as I am), you might dislike the way things are
just a bit different in Ubuntu. RedHat and Suse are also pretty good,
but maintaining packages on RPM-based systems is still not as good as
with APT (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and other Debian derivates). You still
get the occasional dependency hell. 32-bit systems with PAE-enabled
kernel work well, and use more than 4GB RAM efficiently, without the
above mentioned problems that arise when running Flash and some
drivers under 64-bit.
So Petar, tell us how you want to use your T400.
Cheers,
Adrian