[ltp] Re: Which distro for ThinkPad T400s

Dominik Stadler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:38:03 +0100

--0016e6d77e599bbf7d04808a3a65

Hi,

I can report the same thing. I have zero problems with flash on 64-bit
Kubuntu 9.10 since quite some time now.

The two things that did the trick for me were:
- manually install latest 64-bit version of the flash plugin from adobe labs
site, see http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html, only
thing needed was to unpack the package and copy the .so file to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

- install firefox extension "Flashblock". This will withhold flash movies on
web pages unless you click a "play" icon that is displayed instead of the
flash content. This is very useful as it removes all the useless flash
popups while still allowing you quick access to content that you want to
watch. This also removes the "flash consumes 100% CPU" problems for me as
much less flash is executed in the first place...

HTH... Dominik.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> tytso@mit.edu:
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:12:09AM +0100, Adrian Bastholm wrote:
> >> Flash takes a lot of CPU on 32-bit also, on my system about 50%.
> >
> > Flash doesn't take that much CPU on 64-bit machines, since more often
> > than not it's crashed.  :-)
>
> Not that I want to defend Flash in any way, but it's been months since I
> had any problem with it on my AMD64 Debian unstable.
>
> J.
> --
> Quite often I wonder why I am not more famous and/or more wealthy.
> [Agree]   [Disagree]
>                 <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

--0016e6d77e599bbf7d04808a3a65

Hi, <br><br>I can report the same thing. I have zero problems with flash on=
 64-bit Kubuntu 9.10 since quite some time now.<br><br>The two things that =
did the trick for me were:<br>- manually install latest 64-bit version of t=
he flash plugin from adobe labs site, see <a href=3D"http://labs.adobe.com/=
technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html">http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f=
lashplayer10/64bit.html</a>, only thing needed was to unpack the package an=
d copy the .so file to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins<br>
flash movies on web pages unless you click a &quot;play&quot; icon that is =
displayed instead of the flash content. This is very useful as it removes a=
ll the useless flash popups while still allowing you quick access to conten=
t that you want to watch. This also removes the &quot;flash consumes 100% C=
PU&quot; problems for me as much less flash is executed in the first place.=
..<br>
at 11:32 AM, Jochen Schulz <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ml@well-=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin=
: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
tholm wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Flash takes a lot of CPU on 32-bit also, on my system about 50%.<b=
r>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Flash doesn&#39;t take that much CPU on 64-bit machines, since more of=
ten<br>
&gt; than not it&#39;s crashed. =A0:-)<br>
since I<br>
had any problem with it on my AMD64 Debian unstable.<br>
J.<br>
Quite often I wonder why I am not more famous and/or more wealthy.<br>
[Agree] =A0 [Disagree]<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 &lt;<a href=3D"http://www.slowlydownward.c=
om/NODATA/data_enter2.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.slowlydownward.com=
/NODATA/data_enter2.html</a>&gt;<br>