[ltp] Xubuntu vs Ubuntu

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:31:17 +0000

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 10:56 +0000, Simon Royal wrote:

> I am a big fan of Ubuntu. It got me really interested in Linux and
> gave me the push to leave Mac and Windows behind. I had Ubuntu 9.10
> running on a Samsung A10 1.1Ghz Duron and loved it, then the laptop
> died. I then was given an IBM ThinkPad 600 and after running a few '
> lightweight' distros have been quite impressed with Xubuntu 9.10 on
> it.
[...]
> Ultimately my question is, would Ubuntu run better than Xubuntu? I am
> trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of this beast.

If performance is your primary concern, you may want to consider
something other than Ubuntu and its direct derivatives (such as
Kubuntu/Xubuntu).  Ubuntu is a quite a 'heavy' distro out-of-the-box,
and while it's possible to slim it down with some judicious package
management and a bit of tweaking, you might be better off just choosing
something like Debian and adding the packages that you need on top of a
minimal install.

-Rob