[ltp] Xubuntu vs Ubuntu

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:56:35 +0100

Simon Royal wrote:
> [...]
> A few people said not to both with Xubuntu, some even said it was more RAM intensive than Ubuntu. So I am beginning to wonder whether my ThinkPad would run better with Ubuntu rather than Xubuntu.

Xubuntu should be more lightweight then the standard Ubuntu.
"Because the Xfce desktop environment is intended to use fewer system
resources than the default GNOME, Xubuntu is often used on older
computers, systems with limited resources, laptops, netbooks and
high-efficiency workstations." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

> I tried Xubuntu with LXDE window manager and didn't like it and didn't find it very fast. I like the Xfce as it is very close to Gnome. Is it more than just RAM that would pose a problem with Ubuntu as opposed to Xubuntu.

My suggestion for you would have been Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/),
which should be even slimmer than Xubuntu, but seeing that you don't
like LXDE, maybe it's not the right one for you :)

> I know a bit more RAM would help whatever distro I use, but 160MB seems to handle the basics under Xubuntu, but would it be enough for Ubuntu - even though there are reports Xubuntu is more RAM heavy than Ubuntu.

You might want to give compcache aka ramzswap a try
(http://code.google.com/p/compcache/).
It basically takes a part of your RAM, and uses it as a compressed
swaparea (which is then of course slower than normal RAM-access, but
still much faster than swapping to the HDD).

> [...]
To summarize: Maybe give Lubuntu a try, if you hate LXDE use Xubuntu.
Try compcache.

hth,
--
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1@infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster