[ltp] Call for help: hang while hibernating (kernel bug)

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 02:05:52 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having a problem while hibernating.
When my ultrabay DVD drive is powered off, the hibernate process just
hangs for at least 30 seconds (if not forever) and the CPU goes all
the way up to 100%.
Now I've been talking to kernel developers and they have a clue of
what is causing this, but I need confirmation that this bug exists for
someone else and with another Thinkpad other than the T400.

My best guess would be that the T61 is also affected, since it shares
the same BIOS codebase.

I was asked by the linux-ide developers to post a bug in the kernel
bugzilla, but if you can help debug that would be great.

All I need you to do is the following:
- power down your ultrabay (if you don't know how to do it see below)
- hibernate and see if it hangs for an abnormal time during the
hibernate process (most of the time it does not hang,  but be warned
it may hang and force you to cold boot)

The script to power down the ultrabay can be found here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices#Script_for_Ultrabay_eject

Your collaboration would be much appreciated so that this issue can be
solved quickly.

Regards,
Pedro