[ltp] CPU temperature at 80°C and above , despite fan running at maximum speed ( Thinkpad Z61m)

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:08:47 -0600

Hi,

If it gets too hot, it will shut itself down. Gnome is rather nice -- it
will give you a warning that this will happen. I don't know about other
desktop environments.

The only reason I know this is because my previous notebook (a Sony with
a Core 2 Duo) had a failing fan, and the CPU temperatures would get up
to 100 degress C before it shut down.  When the fan was eventually
replaced (after some months, a long story) the technician said the
thermal paste had essentially disappeared. That machine would idle at
about 55 degree C.

If you have access to the fan after lifting off the keyboard, a blower
of the type that is used to clean cameras and lenses can be very useful
indeed. I was able to clean out a substantial amount of dust that way.
I don't know if blowing in with the keyboard on will have any bad
affect. Maybe if it has  a front and side air vent you'll be fine -- I
don't know.

Best,
Damon

--