[ltp] "ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint" in Linux?

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 23:34:27 +0100

On 3 July 2010 21:14, August Lilleaas <august.lilleaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the advice! I'll find me another keyboard.
> Can you recommend any keyboards with as low as possible a context switch
> from the Thinkpad t400s keyboard? Or perhaps just keyboards in general?
>
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wro=
te:

>> > Does it go wacko only in Linux, or does it misbehave also on Windows
>> > (with
>> > the Lenovo drivers, if any, loaded)?
>>
>> I wouldn't be as negative as Laurent. I have one and I quite like it,
>> though it's not as good as a real thinkpad keyboard. I have few problems
>> with double letters (due to the =93slow reaction=94 I guess) so yeah, it=
's
>> not perfect, but still better than quite some keyboards in the same
>> vein.
>>
>> I can't try in windows, though.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Yves-Alexis
>

> --
> August Lilleaas

Beware of that keyboard. Take a look at the reviews in
http://www.thinkpads.com/2009/10/29/review-lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard/

I was seriously thinking of buying one, but after seeing the above its
better not too. The sticky keys and double caps lock issue appears to
be hardware based, so there is nothing the drivers can do.

My guess is that people who don't type fast won't get affected. If you
type at an above average speed (lets say as a software developer
usually does), definitely you should not get it.

I've been searching for months now for an equivalent solution with a
trackpoint and they are really hard to come by. I would like to buy
one of the older models (the UltraNav keyboard), but they are pretty
expensive and not manufactured anymore.

Regards,
Pedro