[ltp] Weird CPU fan problem on T400, any help appreciated.

Mark Altern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 19:01:15 -0500

--0016e642d95296c5fc048b9e2608

It's been less than a year. I opened it up and it's clean and fine.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 July 2010 03:55, Mark Altern <mark.altern@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Before Ubuntu 10.04, I was using 9.10 and the cpu fancontrol is working
> OK,
> > without me installing any fancontrol software. I think the BIOS control
> it
> > through acpi. It works perfectly.
> >
> > Now after I did a clean install of 10.04, I found the BIOS doesn't do it
> > correctly: since the start-up cpu fan speed is about 1886rmp (normal),
> when
> > the cpu temp goes to 55c, it cramp up to 2700rmp, then after that even
> the
> > cpu have been idle for a long while and temp drop to 37c, the fan
> wouldn't
> > slow down, but keep running at that high speed.
> >
> > Then as suggested by a linux guru friend, I use a Window 7 install DVD to
> > boot the laptop without doing anything, and then reboot back to Ubuntu
> > 10.04, this time the CPU fan start working correctly, meaning the fan
> speed
> > goes up and goes down according to cpu temp. BUT, this lasts only for a
> > short while, and after running it for a hour, the CPU fan will run high
> > speed (2738rmp) without slowing down again, even the CPU temp drop to 36C
> > already.
> >
> > What possibly is wrong? please give me some guidance, guys.
> > Thanks a lot.
> >

> > Lenovo Thinkpad T400,
> > p8600@2.4Ghz, DDR3@4G, 160G@7200RPM, Intel X4500.
>
> That's strange.. for how long do you have your T400? Maybe you need to
> open it and clean the fan.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro
> --

--0016e642d95296c5fc048b9e2608

It&#39;s been less than a year. I opened it up and it&#39;s clean and fine.=
Ribeiro <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pedrib@gmail.com">pedrib@gm=
div class=3D"h5">On 17 July 2010 03:55, Mark Altern &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:m=
ark.altern@gmail.com">mark.altern@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

&gt; Before Ubuntu 10.04, I was using 9.10 and the cpu fancontrol is workin=
g OK,<br>
&gt; without me installing any fancontrol software. I think the BIOS contro=
l it<br>
&gt; through acpi. It works perfectly.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Now after I did a clean install of 10.04, I found the BIOS doesn&#39;t=
 do it<br>
&gt; correctly: since the start-up cpu fan speed is about 1886rmp (normal),=
 when<br>
&gt; the cpu temp goes to 55c, it cramp up to 2700rmp, then after that even=
 the<br>
&gt; cpu have been idle for a long while and temp drop to 37c, the fan woul=
dn&#39;t<br>
&gt; slow down, but keep running at that high speed.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Then as suggested by a linux guru friend, I use a Window 7 install DVD=
 to<br>
&gt; boot the laptop without doing anything, and then reboot back to Ubuntu=
&gt; 10.04, this time the CPU fan start working correctly, meaning the fan =
speed<br>
&gt; goes up and goes down according to cpu temp. BUT, this lasts only for =
a<br>
&gt; short while, and after running it for a hour, the CPU fan will run hig=
h<br>
&gt; speed (2738rmp) without slowing down again, even the CPU temp drop to =
36C<br>
&gt; already.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What possibly is wrong? please give me some guidance, guys.<br>
&gt; Thanks a lot.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Lenovo Thinkpad T400,<br>
&gt; p8600@2.4Ghz, DDR3@4G, 160G@7200RPM, Intel X4500.<br>
you need to<br>
open it and clean the fan.<br>
Regards,<br>
Pedro<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>