[ltp] OT - Linux Thinkcentre...

Chris. Aubrey-Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:51:41 +0100

--0016e6de181c954d89048ba58f4a

On 18 July 2010 00:53, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:04:36 +1200
> zed <zed@zed.net.nz> dijo:
>
> >Is there anyone on the list who can point me to a similar list for
> >users of the IBM Thinkcentre, please. I have searched Google without
> >success.
> >
> >I have an elderly friend using one of these machines and I've just
> >installed LinuxMint for her.  She was using WindowsXP and the machine
> >was taking nigh on 4 minutes to boot.  Mint was installed in the hope
> >that this would cure the problem.  Alas! it is still a four minute
> >boot time.
> >
> >I don't know the model number but it is 1.7GHz with IGB RAM.
>
> I don't know of a Thinkcentre list, but something sounds wrong here.
>
> I would suggest interrupting the boot process at the point Grub is
> edit it by using a text editor to open /boot/grub/menu.lst.
> Specifically, you want to remove "quiet" from the boot line. (I think
> this is all you have to do, but it's been a long time since I messed
> with Grub.) The goal is to make the boot process stream the text
> messages of what is going on instead of just giving you a GUI progress
> bar. I'll bet there are one or more processes that are hanging and then
> erroring out.
> --

What does dmesg tell you?

--0016e6de181c954d89048ba58f4a

rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding=
-left: 1ex;">
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:04:36 +1200<br>
zed &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:zed@zed.net.nz">zed@zed.net.nz</a>&gt; dijo:<br>
&gt;Is there anyone on the list who can point me to a similar list for<br>
&gt;users of the IBM Thinkcentre, please. I have searched Google without<br=

&gt;success.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I have an elderly friend using one of these machines and I&#39;ve just<=
br>
&gt;installed LinuxMint for her. =A0She was using WindowsXP and the machine=
&gt;was taking nigh on 4 minutes to boot. =A0Mint was installed in the hope=
&gt;that this would cure the problem. =A0Alas! it is still a four minute<br=

&gt;boot time.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I don&#39;t know the model number but it is 1.7GHz with IGB RAM.<br>
re.<br>
I would suggest interrupting the boot process at the point Grub is<br>
edit it by using a text editor to open /boot/grub/menu.lst.<br>
Specifically, you want to remove &quot;quiet&quot; from the boot line. (I t=
hink<br>
this is all you have to do, but it&#39;s been a long time since I messed<br=

with Grub.) The goal is to make the boot process stream the text<br>
messages of what is going on instead of just giving you a GUI progress<br>
bar. I&#39;ll bet there are one or more processes that are hanging and then=
erroring out.<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>