[ltp] OT - Linux Thinkcentre...

zed linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:16:57 +1200

Dev Null <devnull@misguidedmonkey.net> wrote:

> On 07/18/2010 03:50 AM, zed wrote:
> > Good thinking. LinuxMint v9 has Grub2, so there is no menu.lst Any
> > pointers as to how I edit Grub2, please?
> >
> > Zed
> >
> You want to edit /etc/default/grub ... of course you need to have root
> privilages. I don't know about mint, but in Ubuntu you'd want to open a
> terminal and enter:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
>
> Look for a line that looks something like this:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
>
> If there is nothing besides 'quiet splash' between the quotes then you can
> just comment out the line by putting a '#' at the beginning. Otherwise, I
> would make a copy of the entire line, comment out one of them, and delete
> 'quiet splash' from the other. Save the file, exit gedit, then at the
> command line type
>
> sudo update-grub
>
> When you restart the computer you should see a fairly verbose list of
> everything that is happening during the boot process. What you're looking
> for is something that causes the process to hang for a long time. Perhaps
> something is being initialized, but it just doesn't work; eventually it
> times-out and moves on. It should be fairly obvious if that's what's
> happening.

Thanks, Dave. As soon as I get to that computer again, I'll give it a go.
If I can recognise what is at fault I'll report back.  Otherwise, I'll be
seeking more advice.  BTW, can I capture the boot sequence in a text file?

Zed

--
zed

Do more than anyone expects, and pretty soon everyone will expect more