[ltp] OT - Linux Thinkcentre...

Dev Null linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:34:46 -0400

On 07/18/2010 03:50 AM, zed wrote:
> Good thinking. LinuxMint v9 has Grub2, so there is no menu.lst Any pointers
> as to how I edit Grub2, please?
>
> Zed

You want to edit /etc/default/grub ... of course you need to have root
privilages. I don't know about mint, but in Ubuntu you'd want to open a
terminal and enter:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Look for a line that looks something like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

If there is nothing besides 'quiet splash' between the quotes then you
can just comment out the line by putting a '#' at the beginning.
Otherwise, I would make a copy of the entire line, comment out one of
them, and delete 'quiet splash' from the other. Save the file, exit
gedit, then at the command line type

sudo update-grub

When you restart the computer you should see a fairly verbose list of
everything that is happening during the boot process. What you're
looking for is something that causes the process to hang for a long
time. Perhaps something is being initialized, but it just doesn't work;
eventually it times-out and moves on. It should be fairly obvious if
that's what's happening.

  -- Dave