[ltp] High Speed USB problems

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:21:30 -0500

Quoting bhaskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net>:
> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >Quoting Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as>:

> >>Also, read this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_USB_2.0
> >>
> >>I had a T42 with this problem.  It died completely a few months after the
> >>warranty expired.
> >>

> >This sounds very much like my problem, except the USB hard drive does not work
> >properly at all.  Replacing the main board probably doesn't make sense for a 6
> >year old laptop unless I can cannabilize a known good one from some other
> >laptop.
> >
> >I'm going to miss it, I like my T41.  Plus the hassle of picking a replacement
> >and moving the files and setting up a new computer.
> Why not try a PCMCIA USB2 adapter?
> I have several including one that also has a FireWire port which I use for
> HD video capture.
> IMHO most of the new laptops are 36, ( or less ), month POS wonders.
> Long story but I've been "sucked into" finding why over six of these died
> since the first of the year and all of them have internal shorts on
> the mother
> board, most likely a "tin whisker" problem.
> Personally, I'm sticking to my A31s as they just keep going and
> going without
> even the slightest glitch.
> I sold one of my A31s to a neighbor and it even survived bouncing around in
> the cabin of her SUV during a rollover.
> The SUV was totaled, but the Thinkpad just needed a DVD drive replacement.
> They don't build em like they used to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Of course, part of this is that I !!! hate !!!! ~!@#$ touchpads, ( I
> play guitar ), and it is hard to find a nice new LT with a
> Trackpoint or trackball

That is an interesting workaround, certainly faster and cheaper than
replacing the system board.

I agree about trackpads.  Both my and my wife's laptops (a Dell w/ Ubuntu
pre-installed) had the trackpads disabled before the sun went down on their
first day.

The Lenovo Thinkpads have fallen to the bottom of Consumer Reports
reliability ratings.  I was starting to look for a different brand of laptop
with a trackpoint.

Thanks,
  Jeffrey